To the girl who will be my wife





















 
Dear wife of tomorrow’s bright day
You may have met me now or meet me tomorrow
might be another man’s woman today
but surely mine tomorrow for time he borrowed
life is short and death still longer
so I take a pause to write you a letter
so when you see me you know the man in me
ask not mundane questions of boring routine
for this is the man you see and the one you get
I have been with a list of women in my time
done the lot and seen much more
but that doesn’t change the man I am
forget the rumours and the lies they spread
for I was just searching for you in my own way
you may not believe words I speak to you now
for to you I am just one among many other men
who come to preach and lie just to lay with you
but I will still say what I must for time is short
I’m not the kind that would call you 12 times a day
I’m not the man that would be with you all day
I’m not the man that would follow you to the salon
I’m not the man that would follow you to the market
I’m not the man that would wash your clothes
for God knows I hate to do my own laundry
I may not be as romantic as you see in them movies
or read in the brown pages of those books
but in my own way I would love you
and love you with all the breath in my lungs
in my own way you will come to find meaning
in this twisted space of existence we walk
I have a divergent way for this is the me I am
reality is not fair and I have to fight for us both
I may not be there always because I’m on the battle field
so you can smile and live free under the moon
in the end all you will know is joy as sorrow dies bleeding
left on the scarlet field of strife and endeavour
for the girl that will be my wife
this is the man I am and the path we walk....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing me to Sleep

Pilgrim's Road (spoken Word Poetry)

Rising sun