On death's bed


Oh gone be the spoils of life
Squandered on the longings of vanity
Rushing to the setting sun
Age rushed me to impromptu sleep

Alone on a lonely death bed
Surrounded by none that know me
I wish I did most differently
But aye life runs a straight course

Gone be the smiles of youth
Gone be the days of old
Gone be the days I saw
Gone be the me that was

Wish me for a silver coin
A coin of sighs and sorrow
To take me to a life after
A coin; material due for Charon

Call my brother; call my sister
Call my friend and my kinsman
If any yet be alive today
To tell a tale of my last day

A day I was alone to my thoughts
A day I learnt the wisdom of loneliness
A day I lay breathing but my last
A day I left on death's lonely bed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing me to Sleep

Pilgrim's Road (spoken Word Poetry)

Rising sun