In yesterday's tomorrow (Poetry by HENRY "JudgeBush" AKUETE)


Yesterday was bright and full
Yesterday i was young and hopeful
I was a boy and i had dreams
Yesterday was easy and plain
Yesterday i looked to the rising sun
And yesterday all was set before me
Yesterday i saw the sun creep
quietly into the golden horizon
Yesterday i made my bed of hope
And yesterday i made a silent prayer
Yesterday i longed for tomorrow
Tomorrow with the bounty of dreams
But alas! I was awakened before dawn
And found yesterday dead
Lost in the tick-tock of the hour hand
And born from yesterday's ashes arose the phoenix of yesterday's tomorrow
Now i wake a hurried man
While i slept a virgin boy
In yesterday's tomorrow up is down
Nothing is familiar within
I am lost in an undone space
In yesterday's tomorrow my dreams are bled
Hope implodes as prayers spill from the heavenly altar
In yesterday's tomorrow its fight or flight
In yesterday's tomorrow weakness is a sin
In yesterday's tomorrow i'm alone in many
And yesterday's eggs break prematurely
In yesterday's tomorrow sleep is no more
And dreams are left to the dead
My plans are nought in yesterday's tomorrow
Reality emerges unfriendly to me
But yesterday i planned to be rich
Now in yesterday's tomorrow i wake poor
My priority is now survival
In yesterday's tomorrow dreams are dead
I wish to escape from this spontaneous awakening
I yearn to return to the embrace of yesterday
Where all is once again familiar
Where i feed on dreams, hopes and prayers
I chase a shadow in this yearning
For eternally trapped i am in yesterday's tomorrow
________________________________________
@judgebushx (twitter)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing me to Sleep

Pilgrim's Road (spoken Word Poetry)

Rising sun